Sunday, August 11, 2013

I'm talking up the Currie Cup, Tony Jantjies, and Pat Howard here

With nothing much going on in rugby this side of the world, I was pleased to be able to watch some Currie Cup action from SA as a filler until the Rugby Championship gets going next weekend. Pleased also I got to watch some decent rugby. I watched bits and pieces of the Lions Cheetahs, and Bulls Stormers matches. The physicality levels of these matches is set to barbaric, it’s a health and safety nightmare! And amidst all the testerone, some decent rugby gets played as well. The team I like to watch these days is the Cheetahs. They have the grunt, but they’re never scared to go wide, and have plenty of runners coming on to the ball at pace in a style that reminds me of Leinster. The wonder of it all is looking in their coaching box and seeing Os Du Randt and Naka Drotske sitting there – a prop and a hooker! How do they come up with that running rugby? Lets’ see how Heineke Meyer gets on with the Boks, but my  favourite to replace his him when the time comes is definitely Naka Drotske.

In the Bulls WP match, the men who caught my eye were Tony Jantjies, surely soon to eclipse his elder brother Elton, and Pat Howard, who took a beautiful line for his try.

No comments:

Post a Comment